Friday, June 03, 2005

All That's Left Is Begging

GM announced yesterday that until July 5th, all GM brands and models available to employees will be sold below invoice, at the GM employee discount rate.
GM's, along with the other US carmakers' sales have struggled in recent years, and while flourishing companies like Honda begin stepping on American automaker's toes with accelerating SUV marketshare and the introduction of the Ridgeline, Honda's first pick-up truck, GM is doing whatever it takes to not get run over.
This type of incentive is great and gets people thinging about GM and GM products, but keeping the enthusiasm beyond July 6th is unlikely.
Peaking even my foreign-car-loving mind, I perused the GM site, scrolling through every model of every GM brand, and I can tell you there isn't much to pick from. My inital thought was this would be a great time to pick up the C6 Vette, but of course that model's apparently not cared for much by GM employees because it wasn't available for the employee rate. Hmmm... I'm sure the machine-press operator that's slaved 24 years of his life in Flint, MI with a 76' Stingray t-shirt and rebel flag bandana holding back his hippie-horseshoe wants nothing to do with the car that enticed him to start working for GM anyway; silly me. Something tells me it's just been removed for this sale, because I haven't heard about any big GM strikes lately.
I encourage you to go to GM and shop around, as this is a good deal, but be fore-warned, there isn't much. Saab has a decent inventory these days (mainly because GM hasn't tampered with them too much), and the XLR Caddy convertible or CTS-V might be nice. Ahhh... that's about it folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home